Wednesday, January 05, 2011

12.30.2010

Skipped yesterday. My brothers were briefly here. Went to see Gogol Bordello at the Electric Factory. I made them carrot soup and put sheets on the futons. This morning I took them to Eastern State Penitentiary--a tour in the terrible cold.

The blue day made the prison beautiful. When I've been through before it has been magnificent but not as beautiful. The decay today was pretty. Our cold made us less attuned to the presence of those before. To their misery.

I didn't know until today that the plumbing and the heating conduits were situated side-by-side. Hot sewage beneath cold cells. The place (1823-1971) is notable for its brief experiment with solitary confinement (until 1913). The tour guide said the jury was out on utter solitary, and that the many many suicides "just came with the territory."

What we let be normal.

No comments: